Do you can or preserve food? I love it…it’s almost time to make another batch of strawberry jam! My mom taught me how to can when I was young, just as her mother did. Now I’m passing on this skill to my daughter! She loves helping me. I love being able to find all my canning supplies at one store….did you know Kmart has canning supplies? I had no idea!
For beginners, try the Ball Canning Discovery Kit to get started. It contains:
- Polypropylene rack with separate, fitted lifter that works in large stockpots at least 7½” tall and 9½” in diameter
- 3 x 1-pint jars
- Illustrated, simplified canning instruction Recipe book
For busy folks, the Ball Automatic Jam-Maker will do all the stirring and temperature control for you, and makes jams in 30 minutes. This is only available online, at Kmart.com, not in stores. I haven’t had the chance to play with it yet (delivery of my package was delayed), but I promise to share one of my favorite jam recipes with y’all soon.
For canning experts, here are some new items to get excited about that Kmart is carrying:
- 1.5 pint jars – based on consumer demand, just right for hearty soups and longer vegetables like asparagus or cucumbers.
- Ball Sure Tight Band Tool – takes the guesswork out of sealing jars “fingertip tight”.
- Citric Acid (in-store only) - doesn’t change the flavor of tomatoes the way lemon juice does, and is pantry-ready.
- Pectin & Food Mixes (in-store only) - for easy pickles, salsa, pasta sauce, jams & more!
Need a good recipe? Here are a few to get you started:
Loquat Jam-Betsy Life
Easy Canned Fruit–AMFT
and more at..
A chat will be held TODAY from 12-1pm CT (Wed 6/6). Join in to learn from more from canning experts! Follow this hashtag: #KmartCanning
The 6/3/12 copy of Red Plum has a coupon for $3 off 2 cases of Ball or Kerr jars and $1 off any pectin or food mix. You can redeem these in-store at Kmart for great deals on canning supplies!
Disclaimer: Kmart provided me with an Electric Canner for help in spreading the word about their new canning section.