Wendy O’Neal is the creator of the popular food, homemaking, and travel blog Around My Family Table and the author of Smoke It Like a Pit Master with Your Electric Smoker, Smoke It Like a Texas Pit Master with Your Electric Smoker, and Live Fire BBQ & Beyond. Her passion for sharing recipes and tips to help families gather around the supper table inspired her to begin the site in 2009. Wendy’s award-winning recipes have been featured on numerous online sites, including the Huffington Post, BuzzFeed, FoxNews.com, MSN.com, Today.com, eHow, Epicurious, and many more. Wendy has also competed at the World Food Championships in the Food Blogger Division.
I’m always in the kitchen! Always! That’s where the chocolate and Coke are hidden. I do come out occasionally to spend time with my 2 rambunctious kids and Hubbyman!
I have been cooking as long as I can remember. My mom taught me how to cook when I was younger and when I finally left home, I was able to prepare meals instead of boxed dinners or take out. I think this is what won my hubby’s heart. The recipes on AMFT are mostly from scratch and perfect for the whole family….even my picky kids have to give their approval before it gets posted for y’all!
I believe getting families around the dinner table for quality time is super important. That’s why even though I cook mostly from scratch, I do take the occasional short cut when in a time crunch (aka Karate nights, Boy Scout nights, and date nights). I try my best to feed my family healthy foods, but I also love to decorate cakes.
I love to grind my own grains for breads, I raise chickens for fresh eggs, I have a bunch of fruit trees (we call it a mini-orchard), and I plan on starting a garden AGAIN this fall. I pretty much have a brown thumb, but I always have good intentions about having a garden. It’s just really hard here in the desert.
In addition to recipes, I share our family travel adventures and homemaking tips and tricks. What started off as a fun place to put my ideas down for my friends has become my full time job and I love every minute of it.
Little known facts about me…
- I’m a Native Texan, but call Arizona my home now.
- I am a Christian.
- I’m a lover of all things chocolate.
- You will always find me with an Iced Tea or a Dutch Bros Coffee.
- I married my high school sweetheart over 21 years ago…he is the love of my life.
- I’m a stay-at -home mom.
- My daughter has a food-dye allergy.
- I refuse to touch dirty napkins or tissues. GROSS!
- Before kids, I worked for the Arizona Supreme Court reviewing cases of kids in foster care for JV judges.
- I store my sunglasses on top of my head and then forget where I put them (way too often).
- I hate artichokes, sour cream, and flan.
- I have 7 slow cookers and 4 pressure cookers that I love using…okay I’m slightly obsessed.
- I love living in AZ where we can grill out 365 days a year (if I’m not using my slow cooker).
- I could eat Mexican food all day, every day for the rest of my life.
- My last meal would be Chicken Fried Steak, mashed potatoes with cream gravy, and fried okra. With a large Iced Tea.
- I’m a former Girl Scout Leader and a former La Leche League Leader.
- I co-own a hyperlocal site East Valley Mom Guide with my best friend and used to own/run a blogger conference, Blended Conference.
If you like what you see here, please follow me or send me an email (firstname.lastname@example.org)