This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure.
A perfectly ripe plum is one of my favorite fruits!
I remember as a college kid, my boyfriend (now hubbyman) and I and all of our friends would go tubing down the Salt River just outside of Phoenix. We brought all sorts of junk food, chips, Gatorade, and I always brought a bag of plums and a knife! Why the knife…I have no idea why, but I eat my plums by slicing off pieces instead of biting into it. It was such a fun time in our life!
Now, I rarely buy plums because I’m really the only one that eats them. My daughter is slowly starting to like them…YEAH! But, last week I was blessed with a box that included about a dozen varieties. I had no idea there were so many varieties…my store only carries two at the most. I was in heaven trying the different varieties, but I got a little bored just eating them.
So, I decided to whip up some muffins for our upcoming trip. They will travel great and be perfect for breakfast food! I used Bob’s Red Mill 10 Grain Flour, but any whole wheat flour will work too. I wanted to make these super healthy!
- 8-12 large plums, pitted
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 3 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Puree plums until smooth, 2 1/2 cups pureed plums are needed.
- Cream butter and brown sugar using a handheld mixer or a stand mixer. Add eggs and pureed plums. Mix well.
- Stir in salt, vanilla, cinnamon, and baking powder. Mix well by hand to combine. Add oats and flour. Continue mixing by hand until just combined.
- Prepare 24 muffin tins with liners sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Fill muffin pans 3/4 full of batter and bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- These freeze nicely, so they are perfect for a grab and go weekday breakfast.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1 muffin
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 221Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 36mgSodium: 327mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 3gSugar: 18gProtein: 4g