A perfectly ripe plum is one of my favorite fruits!
I remember as a college kid, my boyfriend (now hubbyman) and I and all of our friends would go tubing down the Salt River just outside of Phoenix. We brought all sorts of junk food, chips, Gatorade, and I always brought a bag of plums and a knife! Why the knife…I have no idea why, but I eat my plums by slicing off pieces instead of biting into it. It was such a fun time in our life!
Now, I rarely buy plums because I’m really the only one that eats them. My daughter is slowly starting to like them…YEAH! But, last week I was blessed with a box that included about a dozen varieties. I had no idea there were so many varieties…my store only carries two at the most. I was in heaven trying the different varieties, but I got a little bored just eating them.
So, I decided to whip up some muffins for our upcoming trip. They will travel great and be perfect for breakfast food! I used Bob’s Red Mill 10 Grain Flour, but any whole wheat flour will work too. I wanted to make these super healthy!
Fresh Plum & Oat Muffins
- 8-12 large plums, pitted
- 2 sticks (1 cup total) butter, softened
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbls baking powder
- 3 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Puree plums until smooth, 2 1/2 cups pureed plums are needed.
- Cream butter and brown sugar using a handheld mixer or a stand mixer. Add eggs and pureed plums. Mix well.
- Stir in salt, vanilla, cinnamon, and baking powder. Mix well by hand to combine. Add oats and flour. Continue mixing by hand until just combined.
- Prepare 24 muffin tins with liners sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Fill muffin pans 3/4 full of batter and bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- These freeze nicely, so they are perfect for a grab and go weekday breakfast.
Join the Club!
Get delicious recipes delivered straight to your inbox each week! Plus learn how to take back suppertime in your home.
And get started with my NEW Take Back Suppertime 5-Day Jump Start Guide.