This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure.
This is such fun and rewarding treat to put together. The mix of fresh lemons in the cake combined with fresh fruit not only makes fancy looking dessert but tastes amazing too. Perfect for a spring or summer time!
I love muffin or anything mini size. If I make a loaf of anything, I guarantee that it will not last long. People have a tendency to make their own portions and muffins are great for choosing your portion size for you. Perfect for kiddos cough… or husbands…who don’t know what a portion size is! 😉
As always, my kiddos were my helpers again and it was our first time making our own lemon zest. I honestly never knew it was so easy and it smelled awesome. But, even better was how awesome it made the muffins taste. I did not expect such a powerful lemon taste to come from grating the skin of a lemon. I have always just used lemon juice for all lemon based recipes. I have a new love now!
We served these as my son’s birthday cake this year and it was a hit with all the kids. They were seriously so good!
- Sift together 5 times before adding to dry ingredients:
- 1 3/4 Cup plus 1 Tablespoon flour
- 3 Tablespoons Cornstarch
- Zest of one lemon
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 Cup softened butter
- 1 Cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1/3 Cup honey (can add up to another tablespoon depending on the sweetness of your honey)
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- Fresh fruit of choice chopped as desired for the topping
- 1 tsp Salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- In a large bowl, combine and sift together all the dry ingredients. If you have cake flour on hand, you can use 1 1/2 cup cake flour and 1/2 cup flour and skip sifting that first portion together 5 times.
- In a mixing bowl, beat to combine the butter and sugar together until they are fluffy. It takes a few minutes but they really do get fluffy. Add each egg one at a time mixing in-between each new egg. Then mix in the honey and vanilla extract.
- Gradually add the dry flour mixture to the wet. Combine until just mixed. You do not want to over mix, so it is okay if the batter is not smooth.
- Prepare your muffin tins by either greasing and flouring each one or with a cupcake wrapper. Fill each muffin tin 2/3 of the way full or a little more if you want the tops to be overflowing once baked.
- Bake in the oven for about 22-27 minutes or until you can poke a toothpick in it and it comes out clean. If you filled your muffin tins a little more than 2/3 full, expect closer to 27-30 minutes.
- Allow the muffins to cool and remove them from the pan. Top with your favorite fresh fruit and serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1 muffin
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 276 Total Fat: 17g Saturated Fat: 10g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 6g Cholesterol: 103mg Sodium: 575mg Carbohydrates: 30g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 26g Protein: 3g
Join the Club!
Get delicious recipes delivered straight to your inbox each week! Plus learn how to take back suppertime in your home.
And get started with my NEW Take Back Suppertime 5-Day Jump Start Guide.