Pretty much the first thing all of my gluten free friends told me was that everything would be okay once I figured out my own personal favorite gluten-free flour blend. I honestly didn’t believe them and was completely overwhelmed by all the “flour” choices. How would I ever figure out a blend? But, I think I have actually figured out how to make The Best Gluten-Free Flour Blend!
What I did know is that buying a blend is ridiculously expensive and just like other prepackaged foods there are a lot of unnecessary additives. And, I quickly learned that I’m not a fan of certain flours, so I started playing around with combinations took a couple classes, and played around some more.
Last week, I organized all my different gluten-free flours which really inspired me and so I’ve been baking a lot more this week. And over the past couple months I’ve learned a few things:
- I don’t like bean flours (makes everything have a beany taste)
- I prefer brown rice flour to white rice flour (it’s less grity)
- Add xantham gum when you make a recipe, not when you make a blend (so you can control how much you use)
- Coconut flour is super yummy, but absorbs a lot of liquid (use more liquid)
- Sweet rice flour is a great thickener (not the same as white rice flour)
The Best Gluten-Free AP Flour Blend
Use this Gluten-Free flour blend cup for cup in any recipe!
- Combine flours in a large airtight container. Use cup for cup in any recipe.
- Note: A little additional liquid may be necessary in your recipe due to the absorbency of the coconut flour and don't forget to add xantham gum to your dry ingredients (1/4 tsp-1 tsp per cup of flour depending on what you are making).
- © Around My Family Table
Join the Club!
Get delicious recipes delivered straight to your inbox each week! Plus learn how to take back suppertime in your home.
And get started with my NEW Take Back Suppertime 5-Day Jump Start Guide.