This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure.
Oh, cookie bark….where have you been all my life? I’m sure this Valentine Cookie Bark will be followed by all sorts of holiday cookie barks this year. But right now, I’m all about the Valentine treats. Did you happen to notice the Valentine Brownies on Monday. Delish!
Lucky for me, this treat is easily transformed into a gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free dessert without a lot of trouble. With a couple simple swaps, it becomes allergy friendly and I no one will know. Not even picky kids or stubborn hubbys. Come on, I know I’m not the only one with a picky kid or hubby.
I used a gluten free/vegan chocolate sandwich cookie, dark chocolate, and skipped the M&M’s on half of the bark to keep it allergy friendly for my and some of my friends with crazy food allergies. When I think I’m startin’ to get the hang of this new lifestyle I get hit with some raw emotions for my favorite foods I will never again enjoy.
It’s been just under two months and the sad days are fewer and fewer. But when I can come up with something like this that is perfect for me and takes no real thought or extra effort then I just get all giddy inside.
Valentine's Day Cookie Bark
Colorful and full of chocolaty goodness, this Valentine Cookie Bark is the perfect treat for potlucks, parties, kids, classrooms, or your special Valentine.
- 18 chocolate sandwich cookies
- 16 oz chocolate (white, dark, milk, semi-sweet)
- 2 cups candy corn (Valentine colors)
- 2 cups M&Ms (Valentine colors)
- 1/4 cup sprinkles
- other Valentine colored candies, optional
- Line a small baking pan or a 9x13 casserole pan with parchment paper.
- Roughly break apart chocolate sandwich cookies and place in a single layer in pan. Add half of the candy corn to the cookies and spread evenly.
- Place chocolate in a microwave safe bowl and heat in 30 second intervals (stirring in between) until melted and smooth. Gently pour over cookies evenly and spread to cover cookies.
- Immediately sprinkle with chocolate candies, candy corns, and sprinkles.
- Place pan in the freezer for 30 minutes to set up (or leave overnight like I did because I forgot). Pull the bark out of the pan using the parchment paper as a sling. Cut into large chunks for serving.
- (Make a large batch at the beginning of the holiday season and then store in a zip-top baggie in the freezer. Pull out what's needed for each holiday event and store the rest in the freezer.)
Allergy Friendly Options: Use dark chocolate, GF/DF chocolate sandwich cookies and skip the M&M's.
© Around My Family Table
Nutrition Information:Yield: 18 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 210
Debra Wagner says
I am going to make this for sure!! Yummmm
Yummy…your story sounds like mine, except mine was 2014. I’m now dairy free & it hasn’t been easy. Recipes like this one you shared make my cravings so much easier. Thanks so much for sharing!!
I’m also thinking, if you picked the red ones out (from these http://www.premiumchocolatiers.com/chocolate-pack-p-262.html), you could use these in place of the m&ms. 🙂
Wendy O'Neal says
Thanks Julie! You are so right, being dairy free is so hard. Thanks for the link to those chocolates…I’ll have to check them out. I’ve never seen them before. 🙂
Looks delicious! I was wondering- by cookie sandwiches does that mean Oreos or just chocolate cookies?
I actually used a gluten free, dairy free version of an Oreo. Lol. You really could use any chocolate cookie you have on hand. 🙂
I was wondering about this too. Thank you for asking and thank you for the answer.
Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. says
So cute! I think I would goo for the dark chocolate!
That looks so perfect for Valentine’s day, and I’m so glad you can enjoy it as well.
Excellent tip storing it in the freezer. Chocolate coated things are like crack for me. The toffee treat made with butter, saltines, brown sugar and chocolate chips? I cannot walk past it without breaking off a bit. Then rounding the edges to make it even. If I kept it in the freezer that would save me some serious temptation.
Scarlet of Family Focus Blog says
There is a winner! It looks so good and so festive!
Thanks Scarlet! I love pink and brown together so I really love the way this turned out. 🙂
Belinda @zomppa says
Perfection! Is it really almost valentines day??
Yep…it’s coming up fast Belinda!