Adding real vanilla beans to delicious buttercream frosting makes a truly scrumptious Vanilla Bean Frosting that you’ll love using over and over again.
Be sure to sign up for my email list….seasonal recipes in your inbox every week!
I think everyone has requested this frosting more than any other frosting that I’ve made in the past few years. It’s been requested by everyone for their birthday cakes and for holiday treats.
I came up with this recipe when I created my Earl Grey Cake last year. Just look at all those vanilla beans in the frosting. The flavor is so amazing. It is the perfect frosting for just about any cake under the sun.
I was a little worried at first that there wouldn’t be enough “vanilla” flavor…but you just have to trust me that the vanilla flavor from using actual vanilla beans is soooo much better than using an extract. So don’t think it’s going to be the same, it’s not. It’s better!
Check out my other frosting recipes here…I even have an egg-free Royal Icing that you don’t want to miss.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #amftrecipes when you share one of my recipes….so I can see all the wonderful recipes YOU make!
Connect with Around My Family Table!
Make sure to follow me on social media, so you never miss a post!
Sign up to receive seasonal recipes once a week or
receive an email in your inbox for each new recipe:
Vanilla Bean Frosting
- 1 whole vanilla bean pod
- 1/2 cup butter, softened*
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 tbls warm water (2-3)
- 1 lb confectioners sugar
- *(or keep it dairy free by using all butter flavored shortening)
- Split Vanilla pod and scrape out all the beans with a sharp knife.
- Beat together butter, shortening, 1 tbsp of warm water, and vanilla beans until smooth and creamy. Beat in the sugar gradually on a low setting. Scrape sides of bowl as needed.
- Mixture will be very thick. After all sugar is incorporated, add 1-2 more tbsp. of warm water and beat at medium/medium-high speed for 1-2 more minutes. Adding more warm water will continue to thin the frosting consistency and bring down the sweetness even more. Add as much as you like to get the appropriate flavor and consistency. Be careful because a little goes a long way.
- The frosting can also be made several days in advance and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Bring to room temperature, then mix well before using. Leftovers should be refrigerated.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 3499kcal Calories from fat 1751|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 195g||300%|
|Saturated Fat 84g||420%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
Join the newsletter
Get Delicious & Seasonal Recipes in your INBOX every week.