Growing up, we had a Luby’s Cafeteria near our house and my family loved going. Lucky for me, my boyfriend and his family also loved going…so I got to go quite a bit. It was a sad day when all the Luby’s near us shut down, but my boyfriend’s mother (now my mother-in-law) bought their cookbook. YEAH!
To this day, I haven’t made anything from the book, but I beg my mother-in-law to make one of my very favorite pies… Butternut Brownie Pie. I have no idea where it got it’s name because there is no brownie in it. It’s more of a crunchy meringue (like meringue cookies) with lots of pecans and whipped cream. I begged her to make it for our new year’s celebration and she agreed. This time, she brought me the recipe. I think that was my hint to start making it myself.
Butternut Brownie Pie
- 4 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1 /8tsp baking powder
- 1 /8tsp cream of tarter
- 1 /4cups sugar
- 14 graham cracker squares, broken into 1/2 in pieces
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 /2tsp vanilla
- addition chopped pecans for topping
- Heat oven to 300F. Lightly spray a 9-inch pie plate with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat egg whites and baking powder until soft peaks form. Add cream of tartar, beating constantly. Add 1 cup of sugar, a tablespoon at a time, beating constantly until stiff peaks form. Using a rubber scraper, fold in graham crackers and pecan pieces. Spoon into pie plate.
- Bake 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- In a small, chilled bowl and using chilled beaters, beat cream just until it begins to thicken. Add remaining 1/4 cup of sugar and vanilla and continue beating until stiff peaks form. Do not overbeat. Top pie with whipped cream. Sprinkle with additional pecans and refrigerate until served.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 3339kcal Calories from fat 1562|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 174g||268%|
|Saturated Fat 56g||280%|
|Dietary Fiber 17g||68%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
Join the newsletter
Get Delicious & Seasonal Recipes in your INBOX every week.