Growing up, we had a Luby’s Cafeteria near our house and my family loved going. Lucky for me, my boyfriend and his family also loved going…so I got to go quite a bit. It was a sad day when all the Luby’s near us shut down, but my boyfriend’s mother (now my mother-in-law) bought their cookbook. YEAH!
To this day, I haven’t made anything from the book, but I beg my mother-in-law to make one of my very favorite pies… Butternut Brownie Pie. I have no idea where it got it’s name because there is no brownie in it. It’s more of a crunchy meringue (like meringue cookies) with lots of pecans and whipped cream. I begged her to make it for our new year’s celebration and she agreed. This time, she brought me the recipe. I think that was my hint to start making it myself.
Butternut Brownie Pie
- 4 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1/8 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp cream of tarter
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 14 graham cracker squares, broken into 1/2 in pieces
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- addition chopped pecans for topping
- Heat oven to 300F. Lightly spray a 9-inch pie plate with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat egg whites and baking powder until soft peaks form. Add cream of tartar, beating constantly. Add 1 cup of sugar, a tablespoon at a time, beating constantly until stiff peaks form. Using a rubber scraper, fold in graham crackers and pecan pieces. Spoon into pie plate.
- Bake 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- In a small, chilled bowl and using chilled beaters, beat cream just until it begins to thicken. Add remaining 1/4 cup of sugar and vanilla and continue beating until stiff peaks form. Do not overbeat. Top pie with whipped cream. Sprinkle with additional pecans and refrigerate until served.
Join my Weekly Newsletter
And get my Free Slow Cooker Resource Guide! It's full of recipes with 5 or fewer ingredients plus plenty of slow cooker tips!
Plus, you'll get access to my free EXCLUSIVE downloads & printables for newsletter subscribers.