This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure.
This recipe is in partnership with Pillsbury™.
Chocolate and root beer join together for this easy and scrumptious 4-ingredient CHOCOLATE ROOT BEER CAKE dessert.
I love making my kids root beer floats and their new favorite is a chocolate root beer float, so I decided it would be fun to turn their new favorite ice cream drink into a scrumptious 4-ingredient cake for a quick dessert. My kids love helping in the kitchen, so keeping this recipe easy was a must.
In fact, my 11 year old daughter made it all by herself and then helped make supper which was amazing and left us plenty of time for family game night. We play a very competitive couple rounds of Chicken Foot every couple weeks!
Finding a good gluten free cake mix is hard, but luckily Pillsbury™ has a whole line of delicious gluten free mixes…from cakes to cookies to brownies to frosting. And while most aren’t dairy free, they are perfect for anyone avoiding wheat or gluten.
I’ve found Walmart or Amazon to have the best prices on these mixes so I tend to stock up. The prices on these mixes are usually lower than my grocery store’s so I do tend to pick up a few for quick and easy recipes, like my Chocolate Root Beer Cake.
- 1 box Pillsbury™ Gluten Free Devil's Food Cake Mix
- 1 can root beer, divided
- 1 1/2 tsp root beer extract, divided
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven according to box directions, spray a 9x13 pan with non-stick cooking spray, and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine cake mix, 3/4 can of root beer (reserve remaining for frosting), and 1 tsp root beer extract. Mix until well combined and pour into prepared pan. Bake according to package instructions, then remove to cool completely.
- While cake is cooling combine powdered sugar and 1/2 tsp root beer extract then start to mix. Add root beer 1 tablespoon at a time until the frosting is smooth and will easily pour over the cooled cake. Let frosting set up before serving.
Never worry about dinner again....
Subscribe to get my 5 favorite Quick & Easy dinner recipes and FREE weekly meal plans