This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure.
We recently started camping again and I’ve decided to forgo the usual hamburgers and hotdogs for better meals. I’ve found with a little pre-camping prep work, we can have delicious meals with little work at the campsite and with two little kids screaming for supper, this is really important. I thought I’d share my recipes if they work out nicely. I only have two from the most recent camping trip to share; check back later this week for what we had for breakfast.
Of course, you could easily make these at home as well, but the simple flavors and ease of prep make it a great camping recipe.
Hawaiian Packets for Camping
1 ham steak
1 can of pineapple rings
1 pkg pre-sliced carrots
4 tbls honey
1. Cut ham steak into 4 equal parts and place in a zip top baggie.
2. Open can of pineapple and take out 6 rings. Cut 2 in half. Put all 6 slices in a separate zip top baggie.
3. Pour honey into yet another zip top baggie.
4. If you have a large bag of carrots, you can separate out 4 handfuls of carrots into a baggie (I did). Or if you have a small bag, just leave it whole. I bought a large bag so it would last several meals.
5. Place all your small baggies into one larger baggie, making sure to squeeze out all the excess air. Label baggie.
6. Store in fridge or ice chest until meal time.
1. Start fire or charcoal.
2. Assemble packets.
a. lay out 4 pieces of tinfoil (maybe about 12 inches or so for each one)
b. layer on a handful of carrots, piece of ham, 1 1/2 pineapple rings onto each piece of foil
c. drizzle each with honey
d. fold up foil ensuring it’s completely sealed, I double wrapped mine
3. Place over fire or directly on hot coals for 5 minutes per side.
4. Remove and open carefully; they are really hot.
Serves 4 hungry campers
I made this for a recent camping trip. We were arriving late to camp the first night, so this was perfect to just pop onto the grill. YUMMO…thanks for posting!
Jeff M. Freshour says
Look delicious. Pineapple looks fresh. The great tropical fruit , taste delicious. I will make this recipe to my family when we go to the beach. Thank you!
i can’t wait for these yummy camping dishes, i bet they taste good 🙂
David Nolen says
i can stop craving for these yummy camping dishes….it may taste good 🙂
That’s sweety foil make me mouth watering , it’s easy to prepare and delicious
Mark Jonson says
Awesome blog. Really enjoyed cooking Hawaiian Packets to my kids last week end. I like to drizzle loads of honey as well as adding a bit of sugar on top of that. It makes it taste so much better;-)
Wendy O'Neal says
Love the idea of the honey drizzle! Brilliant! w-
Alina John says
That was a lot of work to go camping for 1 day and 1 night! BUT, we learned a ton, I know what more to expect next time we go and we will never go during a heat wave even though the really nice, sunny weather seemed appealing at the time.Tent infographic
Kendra M says
Bet these would work in a crock pot…
Julie O. says
Liked your blog about the ham packets. Very creative! I like foil packets with fish or other meat in the oven or on the grill! Easy cleanup!