We recently started camping again and I’ve decided to forgo the usual hamburgers and hotdogs for better meals. I’ve found with a little pre-camping prep work, we can have delicious meals with little work at the campsite and with two little kids screaming for supper, this is really important. I thought I’d share my recipes if they work out nicely. I only have two from the most recent camping trip to share; check back later this week for what we had for breakfast.
Of course, you could easily make these at home as well, but the simple flavors and ease of prep make it a great camping recipe.
Hawaiian Packets for Camping
1 ham steak
1 can of pineapple rings
1 pkg pre-sliced carrots
4 tbls honey
1. Cut ham steak into 4 equal parts and place in a zip top baggie.
2. Open can of pineapple and take out 6 rings. Cut 2 in half. Put all 6 slices in a separate zip top baggie.
3. Pour honey into yet another zip top baggie.
4. If you have a large bag of carrots, you can separate out 4 handfuls of carrots into a baggie (I did). Or if you have a small bag, just leave it whole. I bought a large bag so it would last several meals.
5. Place all your small baggies into one larger baggie, making sure to squeeze out all the excess air. Label baggie.
6. Store in fridge or ice chest until meal time.
1. Start fire or charcoal.
2. Assemble packets.
a. lay out 4 pieces of tinfoil (maybe about 12 inches or so for each one)
b. layer on a handful of carrots, piece of ham, 1 1/2 pineapple rings onto each piece of foil
c. drizzle each with honey
d. fold up foil ensuring it’s completely sealed, I double wrapped mine
3. Place over fire or directly on hot coals for 5 minutes per side.
4. Remove and open carefully; they are really hot.
Serves 4 hungry campers
Join the newsletter
Get Delicious & Seasonal Recipes in your INBOX every week.