I just love the colors of Spring and Easter. The pastels this time of year are so pretty. I don’t normally have a reason to buy the colorful candies, but I needed a snack for a bunch of kids for a road trip…so I thought it would be fun. My kids were in a separate car, so it was easy to make a different version for them and there would be no hard feelings. If you don’t do dyes, then the plain version is just as good…really there was no difference!
My niece and nephews loved the mix and gobbled it up right away. Okay, I knew they would! It’s salty, it’s sweet, it’s crunchy, it’s colorful…all the best rolled into one little snack. Notice I didn’t say healthy. But we can pretend, right? All that plain popcorn and pretzels….at least I tell myself that it makes up for all that sugar. Besides, the calories don’t count if you’re on a road trip!
This tasty little treat can easily be made for just about any holiday since M&Ms are made in all different colors for the holidays. Or buy the single color bags and make a great party gift that matches your party colors.
To make these dye free: replace the M&Ms with chocolate chips and use dye-free sprinkles or omit the sprinkles all together (they’re just for show anyway).
Sweet and Salty Spring Mix
- 1 bag popcorn, popped (non-buttery type is best)
- 7 oz. almond bark
- 1 bag Easter M&Ms
- pretzel sticks, broken into small pieces
- colorful sprinkles, if desired
- Place the popped popcorn in a large bowl with the broken up pretzels and M&Ms. In a medium, microwave safe bowl, heat the almond bark in the microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring after each time, until melted and smooth (follow instructions on package for melting).
- Allow to cool for about 30 seconds, you don't want the M&Ms to melt. Drizzle the almond bark over the popcorn mixture and stir to coat. The pretzels and M&Ms tend to sink to the bottom, so stir well until everything is evenly coated and well combined.
- Spread out on a large piece of wax paper, top with sprinkles (if desired) and let cool. Break into pieces and serve in a large bowl or package in individual holiday bags.
- *Note: use chocolate chips instead of M&Ms and omit the sprinkles for a dye free version (or find dye-free sprinkles).
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 1149kcal Calories from fat 892|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 99g||152%|
|Saturated Fat 8g||40%|
|Dietary Fiber 25g||100%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
Join the newsletter
Get Delicious & Seasonal Recipes in your INBOX every week.