I first had bacon wrapped dates about this time last year, as an appetizer at a luncheon where I first tried a Grilled Mac & Cheese Sandwich. It’s not something I would typically order, but the hostess of the luncheon insisted I give them a try and bought a platter for us to try. They were scrumptious and I just couldn’t stop thinking about these wonderful bites of bacon, maple syrup, cream cheese, and dates. I knew I would have to give them a try at home.
Fast forward a few weeks to Hubbyman’s Christmas party for work….it was a potluck and so I wanted to bring something amazing. Enter…my new love…bacon wrapped dates. I made them, instagrammed them, took them to the party (where everyone loved them), and knew I had to write up a post for AMFT. I know I’m not the only one to ever make them, but here they are in all of their gloriousness! The world can always use another version, right?!?!?
My bacon wrapped dates don’t need any fancy equipment…no piping bags needed. There is no need for speciality cream cheeses or extra sugar or flavored bacon….use easy to find ingredients that can be used for other recipes. They are perfectly sweet and caramelized without all the fuss. I love cooking from scratch, but what I hate more than easy is buying ingredients for just one recipe.
These are the perfect appetizer. They can be made in advance too. Make them in the morning and serve them in the evening. Plus they are perfect for a football game or a fancy schmancy holiday party. I can’t wait to have our first get together this fall to serve up a big platter of these and enjoy a great football game.
Bacon Wrapped Dates
- 36 dates, pitted
- 1 package of bacon, each strip cut into thirds
- 1/2 cup cream cheese, softened
- 2 tbls finely chopped chives
- Maple syrup, slightly warmed for brushing
- 36 toothpicks, if desired
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Combine cream cheese and chives in a small bowl. Gently slice into each date separating the halves (but keeping opposite side intact, essentially you are butterflying the date)
- Scoop cream cheese using a small spoon into the center of each date and squish date halves back together. Repeat with all the dates.
- Take a small strip of bacon and wrap it around each date, securing it with a toothpick if needed. Place on a foil lined baking sheet. Brush each date with warm maple syrup and bake for 10 minutes. Turn dates over and bake for an additional 10 minutes or until bacon is browned and crispy.
- Remove from baking sheet and enjoy warm (or at room temperature).
- © Around My Family Table
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 4635kcal Calories from fat 1948|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 216g||332%|
|Saturated Fat 81g||405%|
|Dietary Fiber 58g||232%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
Join the newsletter
Get Delicious & Seasonal Recipes in your INBOX every week.