Did you know it’s Brunch Week here on AMFT? I just love brunch and the versatility of it! One Monday, I shared a killer Starbuck’s copycat Mocha Frappaccino that will make you reconsider spending $4.50 each…mine is only around $.50. However, today I have the most moist and delicious Banana Walnut Scones that you’ve ever tasted!
I’ve made a lot of gluten free/dairy free desserts and breads over the past 5 months or so and this one tops them all! Seriously, this is probably the best one I’ve made so far. The texture of the scones resembles that of a traditional breakfast muffin (light and airy) as opposed to a traditional, dense scone, but I don’t care. These were AMAZING! Hubbyman didn’t even realize they were “special” until he saw me eating one. He said they were so good and had no idea they were gluten free and vegan! Now that is the best praise of all…at least to me!
I’ve joined up with over 30 great foodies this week for #BrunchWeek! We are all sharing some wonderful brunch recipes and a HUGE giveaway (so keep reading past the recipe to find the other bloggers and the giveaway! Trust me…this is one giveaway you won’t want to miss! There are over $1800 in prizes from some fabulous companies and I’m so excited to be part of this awesome group of #BrunchWeek bloggers!
Banana Walnut Scones (Gluten Free & Vegan)
These moist and delicious scones are full of banana flavor with tons of walnuts. They are gluten free, dairy free, and vegan too, but they are so good that you'd never know!
- 1 3/4 cups gluten free flour blend
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tsps baking powder
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) cold "butter" (such as Earth Balance sticks), cut into small pieces
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup cold rice milk (plus 2 tbls for brushing the tops)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbls coarse sugar
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment.
- Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, xanthan gum, and salt. Work in the cold "butter" until the mixture is crumbly. Stir in the nuts.
- Whisk together bananas, rice milk, and vanilla. Add to the dry ingredients, stirring until well blended. The dough will be very sticky, but should be cohesive.
- Drop dough onto the parchment paper and shape into a circle the size of a dinner plate. Use a pizza cutter or butter knife to cut the dough into 8 triangle-shapes. (The dough will be very sticky and will not move from its spot, but that's okay).
- Brush with a little extra rice milk and sprinkle the scones with coarse sugar. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and let rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- © Around My Family Table
Check out all these other fabulous #BrunchWeek recipes that were posted today!
Brunch Recipes with Eggs
Asparagus and Leek Frittata by Rachel Cooks
Baked Ham and Egg Cups by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
Deviled Egg Spread with Home Rolled Crackers by Vanilla Lemonade
Veggie Quiche Cups by Take A Bite Out of Boca
Asparagus and Eggs in Mornay Sauce by Noshing With The Nolands
Brunch Recipes with Potatoes
Traditional Home Fries by Sarcastic Cooking
Meat, Poultry and Fish Brunch Recipes
Breads, Grains, Cereals and Pancake-type Yums
Cherry Coconut Granola by Katie’s Cucina
Brioche by poet in the pantry by poet in the pantry
Quick and Easy Early Morning Parfaits by Cravings of a Lunatic
Caramelized Onion & Bacon Croque Monsieur by The Kitchen Prep
Fruit and Vegetable Brunch Recipes
Warm Salad Three Ways by Cook the Story
Spreads for Brunch
Black & Blue Thyme Jam by Cooking In Stilettos
Brunch Dessert Recipes
Crumb-Top Blueberry Muffins by Love and Confections
Croissant & Chocolate Bread Pudding by White Lights on Wednesday
Honey Poached Pear “Sundae” by Amanda’s Apron
Strawberries and Cream Muffins by The Domestic Mama & The Village Cook
Brunch Week Sponsors:
We are so grateful to have such amazing sponsors for Brunch Week who have given us a fabulous bunch of incredible (INCREDIBLE!) prizes for our giveaway(giveaway ended 5/10/13). Show them some love and appreciation! California Walnuts, Lodge Cast Iron, Flavors of Summer, Black Gold Farms, Food and Wine Conference, #SundaySupper, Bob’s Red Mill, Whole Foods Orlando, and Stonyfield Organic.
Don't Miss A Recipe!
And get my Free Slow Cooker Resource Guide! It's full of recipes with 5 or fewer ingredients plus plenty of slow cooker tips!
Plus, you'll get access to my free EXCLUSIVE downloads & printables for newsletter subscribers.