Fall is in the air and pumpkin is on my mind. These Halloween Pumpkin Cookies are full of pumpkin goodness and whip up quickly with the help of a cake mix.
I swear once mid-September rolls around my family and friends all start talking about everything pumpkin. To create more of a Halloween-inspired pumpkin cookie, but keeping it non-scary, I opted for chocolate. Chocolate is always my go-to for all things delicious! Dipping half of the pumpkin cookie in chocolate does the trick…it’s get a little spooky makeover that tastes frickin’ amazing!
You can use a traditional box mix or even a gluten free mix. Both work great. I used a gluten free mix and made sure to pick a dairy free chocolate chip to keep it within my dietary needs. I love flexible recipes.
Halloween Pumpkin Cookies
These Halloween Pumpkin Cookies are full of pumpkin goodness and whip up quickly with the help of a cake mix.
- 1 box yellow cake mix (traditional or gluten free)
- 1 15oz can pureed pumpkin**
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 bag semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1-2 tbls shortening
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray rimmed cookie sheet with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium bowl add cake mix, pumpkin puree, and pumpkin pie spice. Mix well with a spoon until well combined. Using a #40 cookie scoop (or 1 1/2 tbls), scoop out cookie dough and drop on pan an inch apart. Dip the bottom of a glass into water and gently press the cookie scoops flat.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- Meanwhile, in a microwave safe bowl combine chocolate chips and shortening. Heat on high for 1 minutes. Stir. Then put back in the microwave if needed for 30 second bursts until chocolate is smooth and creamy when stirred.
- Dip half of pumpkin cookie into melted chocolate and place on wax paper to cool and dry. Store in an airtight container for up to 3-4 days.
- **If you use a gluten free mix, you will only need about 3/4 of the pumpkin. No need to really measure...just eyeball it.
Join my Weekly Newsletter
And get my Free Slow Cooker Resource Guide! It's full of recipes with 5 or fewer ingredients plus plenty of slow cooker tips!
Plus, you'll get access to my free EXCLUSIVE downloads & printables for newsletter subscribers.