This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure.
I am wordless! There is noting I can say except you HAVE to try these sandwiches! The only words that come to mind are perfection, juicy, filling, and gone! There was nothing leftover…nothing at all! I was hoping for one to have the next day, but no luck.
I have some exciting news to share. This year I will be part of Johnsonville’s Kitchens Community Blogger Panel. This is super exciting because my family was already a fan of Johnsonville products. I will get to try Johnsonville products for tasting and testing and the opportunity to provide feedback on product launches and campaigns. How cool is that!?!?!?
To get started, I hope you will join me in submitting a recipe for the Johnsonville Italian Inspiration recipe contest on Facebook. You could win a culinary vacation to Italy! Now…if only I could win that!!!! The contest is a photo contest and then Johnsonville will make 5 of their favorite entries to decide who wins the Grand Prize! Or you might get lucky and take home one of six gift baskets. Contest ends on 4/1/12…so start cooking and snap some pictures!
Italian Hoagie Sandwiches
Grilled Italian sausage with peppers and onions, topped with marinara sauce and lots of mozzarella cheese. These Italian hoagie sandwiches are SO delicious and easy to make!
- 6 Italian Sausages
- 6 hoagie rolls or hot dog buns
- 1 onion, cut into thin slices
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into thin slices
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into thin slices
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 1 1/2 cups marinara sauce
- mozzarella cheese (sliced or shredded)
- olive oil (or garlic olive oil)
- Prepare grill to a medium high heat.
- Place sliced onions and peppers in a skillet and cook on stove top or grill over medium high heat Allowing them to caramelize, stir occasionally. Don't stir too often, but pay attention to heat level and don't let them burn. This process will take 20 minutes or so. If the onion and peppers look a little dry add one teaspoon of olive oil to the pan.
- Meanwhile, pour marinara sauce into a sauce pan with a crushed clove of garlic. Place lid on pot and simmer over low heat for 20 minutes.
- Also during this time, grill the sausages over direct medium heat for 15-20 minutes or until they are cooked through and browned. If you like your buns toasted, do it now over indirect heat for just a minute. Remove sausages and buns from grill and allow the sausages to rest a few minutes.
- Cut sausages on a sharp angle so that each slice is about 1/2 inch thick. Then place mozzarella cheese in the bottom of your buns, top with about 5-6 pieces of sliced sausage, about a 1/4 cup of marinara sauce, a large scoop of onions and peppers and finally top off the hoagie with a little more cheese.
- *If you have an extra minute or two, put the assembled hoagies on the grill or under a broiler to melt the cheese.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 445Total Fat: 29gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 21gCholesterol: 57mgSodium: 1132mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 3gSugar: 8gProtein: 21g
I made this for dinner tonight, and it was amazing. We definitely be making this one again. thanks a lot for a good go to recipe.
Wendy O'Neal says
I’m so glad you liked it Cheryl!!! I love easy (and tasty) recipes!!! 🙂
Misha Grier says
I like eating sandwiches so for sure I will definitely like to taste these Italian Hoagie Sandwiches…
Anna Childs says
I love these Italian Hoagie Sandwiches. The taste is so yummy and delicious. I love it.
Sabara Cage says
I love these Italian Hoagie Sandwiches. The taste is so yummy and delicious.
This sounds wonderful Thanks for sharing.
These sandwiches are amazing. They seems to be perfect for all meals, breakfast, lunch and dinner. 🙂
Wow, I love this. Looks very delicious. The cheese makes it look mouth-watering.
These really sound delicious. I’m new to your blog, so I took sometime to browse through your earlier posts. I’m so glad I did that. I really like the food and recipes you share with your readers and I’ll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings…Mary
This looks awesome. I wonder how it would be with Kielbasa. Hmmmm!
It would be amazing!!!!!
I was just wanting to make this today. I will be using this recipe. Thank you!
Love all the grilled veggies. This looks delicious.