This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure.
A big bowl of Summer Vegetable Soup is the perfect way to use all those summer vegetables that are overflowing in your garden and at the farmer’s market.
Simple Summer Vegetable Soup Recipe
Cooking seasonally ensures that I stick to my grocery budget and that I’m feeding my family foods that didn’t travel to far which means the food is fresher and tastes better. For years, I only made soup in the winter, but I’ve found a light, vegetable soup is great in the summer using all those delicious summer vegetables. I skip the heavy milk, cream, and cheese and simply use vegetable or chicken broth (we aren’t vegetarians), which keeps the soup light for those hot summer nights.
Summer Vegetable Garden
I totally have a brown thumb. Y’all I try my hardest, but gardening just isn’t for me (seriously, I can’t even keep house plants and succulents alive). However, my little garden in previous years, supplied about half of the ingredients and the rest I picked up at our local farmer’s market.
The best part is that it’s naturally gluten-free and perfect for vegetarians and vegans too (if you stick with the vegetable broth). Since it cooks up in under 30 minutes, you’ll be in and out of the kitchen fast with very little clean up and on to fun summer night activities!
Best Summer Garden Produce for Soup
What’s in your garden right now? What vegetables would you love to include in a healthy summer soup?
How to Make Summer Vegetable Soup
In a large stock pot, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add onion and cook until translucent. Add in carrots and continue cooking until carrots are just barely tender. Then, add garlic and peppers, stirring occasionally until garlic and peppers are fragrant and vegetables are tender. Pour in the stock, tomatoes, zucchini, corn kernels, salt, pepper, and dried herbs. Bring to a boil, add rice, and reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
Season with salt and pepper and add fresh herbs as desired. Let cool for a couple minutes and enjoy. Garden fresh summer tastes for the dinner table – Yum!
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 small onion, diced
- 3/4 cup chopped carrots
- 2 zucchini, chopped
- 3 ears corn, kernels only
- 4 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 3/4 cup chopped green beans
- 48-64 oz vegetable stock
- 1 14 ounce can diced tomatoes or 1 cup fresh tomatoes, diced
- 1/3 cup rice
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, finely sliced (opt)
- 1/2 tsp fresh oregano leaves (opt)
- roasted pepitas for garnish (opt)
- In a large stock pot, heat oil over high heat. Add onion and cook until translucent.
- Add in carrots and continue cooking until carrots are just barely tender.
- Toss in garlic and peppers. Stir until garlic and peppers are fragrant.
- Add stock, tomatoes, zucchini, corn kernels, salt, pepper, and dried herbs. Bring to a boil, add rice, and reduce heat to a simmer.
- Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Adjust seasoning and add fresh herbs as desired. Let cool for a couple minutes and enjoy. Garden fresh summer tastes for the dinner table - Yum!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 172 Trans Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 0mg Fiber: 6g
Join the Club!
Get delicious recipes delivered straight to your inbox each week! Plus learn how to take back suppertime in your home.
And get started with my NEW Take Back Suppertime 5-Day Jump Start Guide.