This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure.
I love mangos. So when we had a little session on mangos at Camp Blogaway I was super excited! I was even more excited when we sampled some mango recipes and were told we would get a box of mangos delivered to our homes! Seriously…you would have thought it was Christmas…well, at least for me!
Before I get to my recipe, I want to share a few things I learned about mangos:
- There are 6 varieties; Tommy Atkins is the most common
- Color is NOT an indicator of ripeness
- Test for ripeness by gently squeezing (ripe=soft like a peach/avocado)
- Unripe mangos should be left to ripen on the counter
- Ripe mangos should go in the fridge for up to 5 days
- 1 cup = 100 cal, 100% daily Vit C., 13% daily fiber
- Unripe mangos are good for slaw, relish, chutney
- Ripe mangos are good for fruit salad, salsa, sauces
- Very ripe mangos are good for smoothies, milkshakes, cakes, ice creams
I never knew that unripe mangos were good for certain things, but this recipe is good for an unripe or just barely ripe mango! It is a spin off of one of the recipes that we tried at camp. It’s a little sweet but does have a kick! If you aren’t a fan of spicy food, then tone down the amount of chipotle powder in the rub and the jalapeno in the salsa. It was perfect for us, but we enjoy food with a little kick.
I had my first mishap with a sharp knife today. Seriously…I made it to 36 without a major incident with a knife. All I have to say is YOWSERS!!!! It hurts and is still bleeding a little after several hours. Have you ever cut yourself with a knife in the kitchen? I can’t believe I did it….I feel like such a dork, but it is a good reminder to be EXTREMELY careful when cutting your mangoes.