I have a huge sweet tooth. I will try just about anything in the dessert department, especially anything chocolate. What I really love is dark chocolate. It’s my go-to…I always have some stashed away for “emergencies”. And last week, I was having a chocolate emergency and whipped up with Dark Chocolate Orange Pudding.
Dark Chocolate Orange Pudding (Vegan)
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 3 cups vanilla soy milk
- 6 ounces 72% chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4-6 drops pure orange essential oil*
- 1 tsp instant coffee (*opt*add if not using premium chocolate)
- Combine the coffee (if using), cornstarch, sugar, and salt in a medium-sized sauce pan over medium low heat. Slowly whisk in the milk, scraping the bottom and sides of the pan to fully incorporate the dry ingredients. Stir occasionally, scraping the bottom and sides. Use a whisk to work out any lumps if they begin to form.
- After 15 to 20 minutes, when the mixture begins to thicken and coats the back of the spoon, add the chocolate. Continue stirring for 2 to 4 minutes, or until the pudding is smooth and thick. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla and orange.
- If your pudding is a bit lumpy, then strain through a fine-mesh strainer into a serving bowl or into a large measuring cup with a spout (and then pour into individual serving dishes).
- Cover with plastic wrap. To prevent pudding skin, place plastic wrap on top of the pudding and smooth it gently on the the surface before refrigerating. Refrigerate for at least one hour.
Note: This pudding is best if made a day in advance. It will keep several days in the fridge if you can keep yourself from eating all of it!
*Not a fan of orange and chocolate....just leave the orange oil out!
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 1737kcal Calories from fat 577|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 64g||98%|
|Saturated Fat 32g||160%|
|Dietary Fiber 15g||60%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
Join the newsletter
Get Delicious & Seasonal Recipes in your INBOX every week.