Fresh lime juice, a splash of tequila, and a pinch of salt make these Margarita Cupcakes irresistible.
I love a good margarita. I just love that lime, salt, tequila flavor combo…it’s so good and pretty much the only drink I get. So I’m always playing around with lime recipes and occasionally I make a margarita-inspired recipe too. You have to check out my Margarita Lime Sherbet and my Margarita Lime Chicken Wings….so so yummy!
This cupcake, I think, is going to become my favorite! It has loads of fresh lime flavor (please please please don’t use bottled lime juice) and just a hint of tequila. Because some of you will ask…yes you can leave out the alcohol, but don’t! It adds a nice tang to the recipe.
The alcohol bakes out so you are left with just a hint of tequila flavor in the cupcakes. They are totally safe for the kids and mine sure did love these! They thought it was weird to have a little salt on the top…but they got past it and devoured their dessert.
These cupcakes will be a hit for spring parties, backyard BBQs, and of course Cinco de Mayo celebrations. I mean, really, when wouldn’t these be a good idea?!?!?
I prefer to make them from scratch, but you could use your favorite boxed cake mix and then just add the tequila and lime to the mix (make sure to reduce the other liquid by the amount of tequila/lime you add).
- 1 1/2 cups flour*
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 stick butter, softened (regular or dairy free)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tbls lime zest
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice (about 4 large limes)
- 2 tbls tequila*
- 1/2 cup milk (almond, soy, regular, etc)
- 2 sticks butter, softened (or butter flavored Crisco)
- 2 3/4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tbls fresh lime juice
- 2-3 drops green food coloring
- Preheat oven to 325F and line a muffin pan with paper liners.
- Combine flour, baking powder, salt in a medium bowl. In a stand mixer with wire whisk attachment, combine butter, sugar, and eggs. Mix on medium high until light and fluffy (2-3 minutes).
- Add lime zest, lime juice, and tequila and mix. Reduce speed to low and add in half of the dry ingredients. Follow with half the milk and continue with remaining dry ingredients and milk. Divide batter evenly among the muffin cups.
- Bake about 25 minutes or until toothpick comes out mostly clean, just a few small crumbs are okay. Cool in pan for 5-10 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling.
For the frosting!
- Whip butter with wire whisk attachment for 2-3 minutes on a medium-high speed. Reduce to low and gradually add in powdered sugar. Scrap sides of the bowl to ensure all the powdered sugar is mixed in. Turn up to medium and beat for about 1 minute. Add in lime juice and a couple drops of green food coloring and a pinch of kosher salt. Continue to beat for several minutes until the frosting is fluffy.
- Frost cupcakes as desired and garnish with some small paper straws, a lime slice, and little flaked kosher salt.
- *For gluten free: Use a gluten free AP flour plus 3/4 tsp xanthan gum (if it's not already in the flour). Make sure to use a gluten free tequila.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 5472kcal Calories from fat 2613|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 290g||446%|
|Saturated Fat 180g||900%|
|Dietary Fiber 7g||28%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #amftrecipes when you share one of my recipes….so I can see all the wonderful recipes YOU make!
Connect with Around My Family Table!
Make sure to follow me on social media, so you never miss a post!
Sign up to receive seasonal recipes once a week or
receive an email in your inbox for each new recipe:
Join the newsletter
Get Delicious & Seasonal Recipes in your INBOX every week.