This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure.
These delicious Pumpkin Pie Spiced Cupcakes are sure to be hit this holiday season.
When fall hits, it’s time to stock up on a couple tins of pumpkin pie spice and then add it to everything possible. It’s the rule! Pumpkin pie spice is a mixture of spices including cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, allspice, and cloves.
Of course adding pumpkin to everything is pretty standard this time of year too, but sometimes it can be over kill and just using pumpkin pie spice is a great alternative to pumpkin everything. There is a time and place for easy pumpkin recipes, but you can never go wrong with just a simple addition of pumpkin spice!
These cupcakes are so easy to throw together and can be made with a box mix if you don’t want to use scratch recipe. Using an adaption of my favorite white cake recipe below or your own scratch recipe is ideal and the best option. Nothing beats the flavor and moistness of a cake or cupcakes made from scratch.
These pumpkin spice cupcakes are devoured every time I make them. There is never a crumb left. So turn on your oven and start mixing up these cupcakes for your holiday party or weeknight dessert.
- 2 3/4 cups AP flour
- 1 1/2 cups, plus 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 12 tbsp butter, softened
- 4 large egg whites + 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tsp real vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp warm water (2-3)
- 1 lb confectioners sugar
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl with an electric mixer. Add softened butter and combine on low speed.
- Add egg whites, one at a time, then beat mix in whole egg.
- Gently stir in sour cream, water, and extracts, beating to keep the mixture fluffy.
- Prepare 24 cupcake tins with paper liners. Divide batter evenly into liners.
- Bake at 350 F. for 18 minutes, then check every few minutes. Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- Meanwhile, beat together butter, shortening, vanilla, and 1 tbsp of warm water until smooth and creamy. Beat in the sugar gradually on a low setting. Scrape sides of bowl as needed.
- Mixture will be very thick. After all sugar is incorporated, add 1-2 more tbsp. of warm water and beat at medium/medium-high speed for 1-2 more minutes. Adding more warm water will continue to thin the frosting consistency and bring down the sweetness even more. Add as much as you like to get the appropriate flavor and consistency. Be careful because a little goes a long way.
- The frosting can also be made several days in advance and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Bring to room temperature, then mix well before using. Leftovers should be refrigerated.
- Frost cupcakes as desired.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 215Total Fat: 12.4gSaturated Fat: 7.4gCholesterol: 45mgSodium: 144.3mgCarbohydrates: 24.4gSugar: 18gProtein: 4.5g
Never worry about dinner again....
Subscribe to get my 5 favorite Quick & Easy dinner recipes and FREE weekly meal plans