This Slow Cooker Turkey Lasagna is easy to throw together and is pretty darn healthy, well at least compared to other lasagna recipes.
Don’t freak out when I tell you there is very little cheese in this recipe. What gives it that classic tang is the goat cheese. It adds just the right amount of creamy tang without all the ricotta, mozzarella, and other cheeses. I’ve also only used 6 lasagna noodles for this 4-serving portion which helps keep the calories and carbs down as well too.
I love cooking with turkey! So, I am thrilled to continue my partnership with Honeysuckle White/Shady Brook Farms. It has honestly become my go-to turkey brand. When I not working on a project with them, I drive 30 minutes to the only store in my area that sells it and I stock up. Yes, I love it that much. Turkey is a lean, healthful protein and it’s perfect if you are looking to eat better or are wanting add nutritious food at a better price this new year.
Did you know that Shady Brook Farms/Honeysuckle White turkeys are raised without growth-promoting antibiotics on more than 700 independent family farms and are available without a big price tag, because they believe everyone should be able to afford good food. Even though chicken is a go-to source for lean protein, turkey actually has more protein, fewer calories, and less total fat and cholesterol. Plus the variety of affordable turkey products it easy for busy moms to create good-for you, flavorful meals that the whole family will love!
I spent tine on one of the 700 family-owned farms and the home of Craig and Nancy Miller last summer. They were so kind and let us sit around their family table to talk turkey. Read more about my time on the Miller’s farm and check out my scrumptious Giant Fair-Style Turkey Legs from the grill using Honeysuckle White turkey legs…they are just like the fair or try the most delicious Homemade Turkey Breakfast Sausage.
Isn’t that the most beautiful barn, it was painted all with spray paint and was a gift to the Miller’s from Honeysuckle White/Shady Brook Farms. Honeysuckle White turkeys are raised without growth-promoting antibiotics which makes their ground turkey, sausage, tenderloins, burgers and more so delicious. Honeysuckle White is committed to offering better food at a better price, that’s why their turkeys raised without growth-promoting antibiotics are available without a premium price.
- 1 lb Honeysuckle White ground Turkey Italian Sausage
- 8 oz goat cheese, room temp
- 24 oz jar of marinara sauce
- 6 oz (~6 pieces) dried lasagna noodles (I used gluten free lasagna noodles)
- 1/2 small onion, finely diced
- 1 tsp garlic powder, divided
- 1/2 tsp Italian Seasoning
- grated Parmesan or Mizithra cheese
- 1 tsp parsley, opt
- In a large skillet with medium high heat, cook turkey and onion together. Add half of the marinara sauce and 1/2 tsp garlic powder to the meat and stir to combine.
- In a small bowl, combine goat cheese, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, and Italian seasoning. Mix well to combine.
- Spray the crock of slow cooker with non stick cooking spray and add 1/2 of the remaining sauce to the bottom of the crock. Break noodles in half and add 4 on top of the sauce. Spread 1/2 the goat cheese on the noodles (a tablespoon or so on each noodle portion). Add half of the meat sauce. Repeat layers ending with a layer of noodles. Pour remaining jarred sauce on top noodles, making sure to cover noodles completely.
- Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours. Top with with freshly grated Parmesan or Mizithra cheese and some fresh chopped parsley.
Join the newsletter
Get Delicious & Seasonal Recipes in your INBOX every week.