This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure.
Freezer breakfast burritos are an easy meal prep idea for busy mornings. The recipe comes together quickly and they freeze beautifully. Everyone who tries the scrambled egg burritos loves them!
When I make egg burritos, I make a ton of them. They freeze well and make super simple leftovers for busy school and work mornings.
I figured out how to get the most out of my ingredients by ensuring that pretty much everything from one entire package of each ingredient is used.
Ingredients in freezer breakfast burritos
One of my favorite things about breakfast burritos in how easy they are to customize. Anything you like to eat with scrambled eggs is perfect to serve in a burrito.
Even better, everything is tucked nicely inside of the flour tortilla. So, if anyone is in a rush to get out the door in the morning, they can take theirs to go!
My family loves bacon, so including it in our scrambled egg burritos is a given for us. Other ingredients you will need include to make my version:
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Green Chilies
- Seasoning – salt, pepper, and garlic powder
That being said, I encourage you to build the freezer burritos with fillings that your family likes the most. There’s plenty of protein in the eggs alone, so if you prefer eggs and cheese only, go for it.
Instead of bacon, maybe you prefer sausage. Or, you can use any leftover cooked meats from your fridge, too. Shredded rotisserie chicken, pulled pork, ham, or a combination of meats!
How to meal prep breakfast burritos
Freezer egg burritos are perfect for meal prep! After my family has eaten what they want, I fix up the remaining burritos and prepare them for the freezer.
- ASSEMBLE the freezer burritos with your desired fillings.
- FOLD in both ends of the burrito, so the fillings don’t spill when reheated.
- WRAP them in wax paper, folding the paper just like you would a tortilla. Place them seam side down on a baking sheet in the freezer until frozen.
If you think these will stay in the freezer more than a week, also wrap in a layer of aluminum foil to prevent any freezer burn.
When you are ready to reheat any freezer egg burritos, remove the foil, but leave the wax paper.
Reheat in the microwave while still in the wax paper. Usually, a minute or two on high power will do.
- 12 eggs
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, divided (I use a cheddar blend)
- 4 oz diced green chilies
- 8 burrito-size tortillas
- 10 slices bacon
- 3/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, more or less to taste
- Sour cream
- Diced tomatoes
- Chopped scallions
- Waxed paper
- Freezable meal prep containers
- Cook and crumble bacon.
- Combine eggs, garlic, salt, and pepper in a mixing bowl.
- Scramble the eggs over medium heat until they have reached your desired doneness. Add green chilies and 1/2 the cheese. Stir until cheese melts. Stir in crumbled bacon.
- Spoon egg filling into warmed tortillas, top each with a little of the remaining cheese, and add desired toppings.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 burrito
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 767Total Fat: 40gSaturated Fat: 17gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 353mgSodium: 1871mgCarbohydrates: 64gFiber: 10gSugar: 7gProtein: 39g
This nutritional information is an estimate may vary, depending on brand and type of ingredients used. It is not intended to replace the advice of a licensed dietician or physician.
Pin this recipe to your favorite Pinterest board:
- Parmesan Crusted Cod
- March — What’s In Season Guide
- Baked Italian Sandwiches
- Breakfast Recipes with Eggs
- Egg & Chorizo Casserole
- Freezer Smoothie Packets
- Freezer Meals
This post was originally published June 20, 2010. The images and some of the content have been updated.