This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure.
Steak Street Tacos are portable tortillas filled with juicy seasoned beef, tomatoes, and cheese. Make this steak taco recipe for dinner tonight!
WHAT ARE STREET TACOS?
In Mexico, food trucks and corner vendors are a common sight. These small portable tacos are one of the more popular items you will find them selling.
Typically, street tacos have fillings of shredded chicken, ground beef, or pork. They are usually piled high with local vegetables like pico de gallo, cilantro, and Cojita cheese.
Ingredients for Steak Street Tacos
Obviously, you can customize your tacos with any fillings that you like. The important thing is to use a good cut of steak, and to marinate with plenty of fresh seasonings.
As a result, you’ll have juicy, tender bites of flavorful beef to enjoy!
- Flank steak or skirt steak – Either of these cuts of beef are fantastic for this steak taco recipe. They cook quickly and they’re thin cuts, so they absorb marinade really well.
For the marinade:
- fresh garlic cloves, minced
- jalapenos, minced
- fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- kosher salt
- black pepper
- limes, juiced
- oranges, juiced
- white vinegar
- extra virgin olive oil
If your family is a huge taco fan then you have to give my Quick Homemade Taco Seasoning a try. I make a huge batch and keep in a big mason jar for easy dinners.
Steak Taco Recipe Tips
- MARINATING THE BEEF
To allow the beef to absorb the marinade, you’ll want to allow for at least an hour of marinating time.
This being said, you can marinate the beef for up to 8 hours. So, feel free to do this in the morning, then finish cooking the meal just before serving.
Combine the marinade ingredients in a large zip top baggie or a shallow baking dish with a flat bottom.
💡 TIME SAVING TIP:
If you have a good blender or food processor, feel free to use it to combine the marinade ingredients instead of chopping everything by hand.
- GRILLING THE STEAK
I like to use my outdoor grill to cook the flank steak, if for no other reason than it prevents my kitchen from getting hot.
If you have an indoor grill or a stove top grill pan, either of those will work great as well.
If grilling isn’t an option for you, pan sear the steak for a couple of minutes on each side, then finish cooking it in a 425 F. oven.
I like to add refried beans to the steak street tacos but you can always serve them on the side if you prefer.
Other great side dishes for this meal are homemade guacamole and chips or some Mexican rice.
- 2 lbs flank steaks or skirt steaks, trimmed of excess fat
- 8 (taco sized) flour tortillas, cooked according to package
- 8 oz. crumbled queso fresco (or shredded monterey jack cheese)
- 2 limes, cut into wedges
- pico de gallo
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 jalapenos, minced
- 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 3 small limes, juiced
- 3 oranges, juiced
- 2 tbsp white vinegar
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Combine marinade in a large ziptop baggie (note: if you have a good blender or food processor feel free to use it to combine ingredients instead of chopping). Add steak to baggie and refrigerate at least 1 hour, but no more than 8 hours.
- Prepare grill with a medium-high heat. Remove steak from marinade and season both sides with a little additional salt and pepper. Grill over direct heat for 10-15 minutes for a medium consistency. Remove from heat and allow to rest for about 5 minutes.
- Cut against the grain in to strips or into bite sized pieces. Serve as tacos, burritos, or fajitas with queso fresco, limes, refried beans and pico de gallo.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 2 tacos
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1023Total Fat: 64gSaturated Fat: 20gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 37gCholesterol: 231mgSodium: 1217mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 6gSugar: 12gProtein: 81g
Pin this recipe to your favorite Pinterest board:
Recent Recipes You May Have Missed:
Never worry about dinner again....
Subscribe to get my 5 favorite Quick & Easy dinner recipes and FREE weekly meal plans