This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure.
All you need is 15 minutes for these strawberry flavored Valentine Muddy Buddies. They are such a fun and easy valentine party treat that everyone will love.
Valentine Muddy Buddies
I’m all for no-bake valentine treats…okay, really I’m a sucker for any no-bake treat. They are so easy that it’s just silly not to make them. The strawberry cake mix gives them a pretty blush color. If you really want them to be red, try swapping half the white chocolate for red candy melts. I’m just not a huge fan of candy melts or the taste of a lot of red dye, so I stuck with just the strawberry cake to add a hint of pink and some strawberry flavor.
Using a cake mix to flavor these muddy buddies was a brilliant idea. This opens up so many options like lemon, funfetti (birthday cake flavor), orange, gingerbread, spice, and cherry chip! My mind is spinning with all the flavor options!
How to Make Muddy Buddies without Peanut Butter
Traditionally muddy buddies are made with peanut butter; however this valentine treat skips the peanut butter and chocolate and uses white chocolate. That’s one reason these are a perfect valentine class treat! So many schools and kids are allergic to peanuts and have peanuts have been banned from schools. But these strawberry Valentine Muddy Buddies are peanut free!
Muddy Buddies can be made with other things too, like Nutella, butterscotch chips, Cheerios, Popcorn. So once you learn the technique it’s easy to swap in other flavors. Check out some of my other varieties: Lime Coconut Puppy Chow, Muddy Buddy Popcorn, Nutella Buddies, and Peppermint Chex.
How Long will Muddy Buddies Stay Fresh
Y’all…these never last long enough at my house to worry about. However, these will last about a week in a airtight container. I have made them about a week in advance of my kid’s valentines class parties and they are still just as delicious. The kids go crazy for these…I think they are the great valentine class treats.
- 5 cups chex (rice or corn or both)
- 10 oz white chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 1 cup strawberry cake mix
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Place the cereal in a large mixing bowl. In a 2-cup glass, microwave safe bowl combine the white chocolate chips and shortening. Microwave for one minute and whisk. Continue in 30 second bursts until completely smooth.
- When the mixture is smooth, pour over the cereal and stir quickly to combine. Once the cereal is evenly coated, transfer 3/4 to one gallon-sized ziptop bag and the other 1/4 to a second bag. Add strawberry cake mix to the bag with 3/4 of the Chex and the powdered sugar to the bag with 1/4 of the Chex. Close the bags and shake to coat the cereal mixtures evenly.
- Combine the covered Chex into a single airtight container and store for up to one week.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 20 Serving Size: 1/4 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 166Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 10mgSodium: 35mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 1gSugar: 17gProtein: 3g
Never worry about dinner again....
Subscribe to get my 5 favorite Quick & Easy dinner recipes and FREE weekly meal plans