A couple weeks ago my family went on a fun long weekend to San Diego. While we were in the area we decided it would be fun to take the kids to Legoland before they got to old. My son is at the perfect age to fully enjoy Legoland and we knew it was now or never.
The kids’ favorite area at Legoland is the pirate area. It’s honestly our favorite part of the park and probably everyone else’s since it’s always the busiest. There is tons of water and a free water play area (and by free…I mean with regular admission and not the water park). It’s awesome because the kids get to cool off with the water and run off some of the energy that they have from standing in the ride lines. Bring a towel or have them wear their swim suit under their clothes…or don’t worry about it and let them have fun just the way they are. Just know…they will get wet!
One of our favorite snack shops is near the pirate area. Granny’s Apple Fries is right between the Pirate area and the Castle area. For about $5 you can have warm apple fries with a sweet vanilla whipped cream. After one bite, I knew I needed to figure out how to make these tasty treats at home.
The apple fries are lightly coated, deep fried, then tossed with cinnamon sugar. They are amazing and super simple to make at home. Plus…they are perfect for a Lego Birthday Party if you want to serve a fun food from the park.
Apple Fries (a LegoLand Copycat Recipe)
- 4 Granny Smith Apples
- 1 /2cup cornstarch
- 1 /2cup sugar
- 1 /8cup cinnamon
- frying oil
- whipped cream of choice
- Heat about 1 inch of oil in a deep frying pot over medium high heat.
- Core and peel apples. Slice apples into pieces about the shape and size of french fries. Keeping the apple pieces about the same size ensures that they cook evenly. Toss the apple pieces in the cornstarch until well coated.
- In a separate bowl, combine cinnamon and sugar, then set aside.
- In small batches, fry the apples for 2-3 minutes until very lightly golden. Remove from oil with a slotted spoon and drain apple fries on a brown paper bag or several paper towels. Sprinkle liberally with cinnamon sugar mixture after they have drained for a minute or two.
- Keep frying in small batches until all the apples are cooked. Serve immediately.
- @Around My Family Table
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 1179kcal Calories from fat 121|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 13g||20%|
|Saturated Fat 1g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 28g||112%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
Disclaimer: LegoLand provided my family with 2 complimentary tickets; I bought the other 2 tickets. All opinions are my own.
Join the newsletter
Get Delicious & Seasonal Recipes in your INBOX every week.